The UNCTAD Advisory Group on the Strengthening of Training Capacity and Human Resources Development was established in 2002, following a recommendation endorsed by the 38th session of UNCTAD’s Working Party on the Medium-Term Plan and the Programme Budget in 2001. Since its inception, the Advisory Group has held 12 meetings: in December 2002, January 2004, February 2005, March 2006, November 2007, June 2009, December 2010, October 2011, December 2013, October 2015, June 2017 and November 2019.
The Advisory Group’s objectives are:
Overview over the Advisory Group’s Areas of Work
UNCTAD Advisory Group Meetings
12th Meeting – 11 NOVEMBER 2019
10th Meeting – 22 OCTOBER 2015
Room XXVII, Palais des Nations, Geneva (Switzerland)
Focus: Innovation Knowledge for Inclusive and Sustainable Development: Transferring Knowledge through Technology.
The 2015 Advisory Group includes international organisations (IFRC, IRU, ITC, OCHA, OHCHR, UNCTAD, UNOG, UNOG, WIPO, WTO), private sector players (Google, Nestlé) as well as academia (EPFL, Dakar University) and provides a forum to discuss and identify best practices, platforms, processes and solutions that are relevant to UN agencies in the areas of training and e-Learning, and the development of academies and training institutions.
During its 10th meeting, the Advisory Group will look into solutions for development in the areas of Big Data and Analytics, capacity building, and knowledge sharing, and address the following specific questions:
- How can we leverage big data for knowledge development?
- How does big data and analytics fit into Capacity Building within the context of UN entities and other International Institutions?
- How can Big Data help to setup and contribute to E-learning and career path development?
- Can Big Data reveal insights on change in human well-being, real time trends on population behaviour or perceptions related to sustainable development issues?
- Where should United Nations Agencies focus on regarding Big Data /Analytics HR and career planning?
- Will Big Data create a new rift or new opportunity for Developing Countries?
- Is Big Data the next quantum leap?
9th Meeting – 10 DECEMBER 2013
9th Meeting of the UNCTAD Advisory Group on:
“Developing skills, knowledge a nd capacities through innovation:
E – Learnin g , M – Learning, C loud – Learning “
LMS & Technological solutions to target developing countries
- LMS (Open source & software solutions)
- Facilities in the field
- Human resources needed and trained to oversee the delivery
M-learning, cloud-learning, web 2.0, web 3.0
- M-learning where, how and for what?
- New or further development?
- Hybrid approach