In order to increase trade flows and foster economic development, the programme creates port networks bringing together public, private and international entities. The aim is to share knowledge and expertise between port operators and strengthen talent management and human resources development in port communities.
The core functions of the Section are to:
- Advise on the use of information and communications technology (ICT) to promote knowledge sharing, networking and competence building;
- Apply Learning and Content Management Systems (LMS/CMS);
- Host a distance learning platform (learn.unctad.org);
- Provide inter-divisional support for capacity development;
- Operate the Port Training Programme in 4 linguistics networks in Africa, Asia and Latin America;
- Develop and implement the TrainForTrade technical assistance programme with core components on international trade related issues.