The Growing Sustainable Business Project in Angola
Overview of the Cooperation between TFT and UNDP Angola
TFT will provide assistance to UNDP in implementing its GSB Project in Angola by developing and executing six capacity-building workshops, between January and June 2013, in the areas of:
- Sustainable Tourism for Development
- Productive Capacities and Poverty Reduction
The collaboration between TFT and UNDP Angola aims to:
- Build on the results of the TFT Project for Angola (2007 – 2011)
- Strengthen the knowledge of government officials and private sector managers with regard to sustainable tourism and the role it could play in fostering sustainable and inclusive local economic development
- Enhance the ability of government officials and private sector managers working in the tourism sector to identify opportunities for sustainable tourism projects, and to successfully organize and implement local sustainable tourism projects
- Heighten government officials’ understanding of what productive capacities constitute and the importance of developing these to effectively reduce poverty, and secure sustainable economic growth.
- Three workshops on the theme “Sustainable Tourism for Development,” held in:
- The Province of Cuando Cubango from 25 – 27 March 2013
- The Province of Malange from 8 – 12 April 2013
- The Province of Namibe from 15 – 19 April 2013
- A workshop on the theme “Productive Capacities, Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction in LDCs: The Example of Angola”, held in:
- Luanda from 29 April – 3 May 2013
- Two workshops on the theme “”Managing Sustainable Tourism Projects”, held in:
- Luanda from 27 – 31 April 2013
- The Province of Benguela from 3 – 7 June 2013
In June 2012, UNDP Angola requested TrainForTrade’s (TFT) collaboration on its “Growing Sustainable Business” (GSB) Project in Angola. This request came as a direct result of the success of the TFT Project for Angola, implemented between 2007 and 2011 and funded by the European Commission. As a result, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between UNCTAD and UNDP Angola in December 2012.
Part of TFT’s strategy to encourage the local ownership and sustainability of its projects for Angola was to set up a National Steering Committee (NSC), which comprised relevant stakeholders in the areas of trade, investment and services. Its members guided the project, coordinated the activities and defined the annual priorities.
As UNDP Angola was part of the NSC for TFT’s Project in Angola, it was aware of TFT’s capacity to develop and implement tailor-made capacity-building workshops for government officials and private sector managers, as well as its ability to provide government institutions with technical assistance. And because the objectives of its GSB project were in line with those of the TFT Project in Angola, UNDP Angola requested that TFT develop and implement six capacity-building workshops in Luanda and several provinces, focusing on the areas of Productive Capacities and Poverty Reduction, and Sustainable Tourism for Development.
Productive Capacities, Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction in LDCs: The Example of Angola (video):
UN Radio Interview with Rolf Traeger, UN Expert and course instructor.
Click here to listen to the interview.